Formulating with Agave Syrup
6 Things to Know about Agave Syrup
With the popularity of sugar substitutes – and the rise over the past few years of Paleo and Keto diets — agave syrup has become a popular ingredient in many foods and beverages. Whether you’ve been using agave syrup in your products for years or thinking about introducing it into your lineup, here are six great things to know about this versatile sweetener.
- Agave syrup is made from the Agave Tequilana Blue Weber plant by hydrolyzing the inulin stored in the agave heart.
- It is 1.4 times sweeter than table sugar with 20 calories per teaspoon — five more than granulated sugar. However, agave syrup has a low glycemic index of 17.1 which makes it an ideal sweetener for low-caloric and low-glycemic-index foods that can be incorporated into a diabetic diet.
- Like honey, agave syrup is sweeter than sugar, which means you need less of it to create the same sweetness in foods and beverages than sugar. Even better, agave syrup is vegan. Instead of using honey as a sweetener, manufacturers can use agave syrup to achieve the same sweet results in their vegan recipes.
- How much agave syrup should you use? Since agave is approximately 40% sweeter than sugar, food scientists recommend starting with about half as much agave as you would sugar. You can also replace honey or maple syrup with equal amounts of agave syrup.
- Organic 100% blue agave syrup’s adaptability as a natural sweetener can be showcased in a wide variety of finished products, including:
- Prepared Beverages
- Sport Drinks
- Energy Bars
- Dairy Products
- Sauces and Dressings
- Agave syrup is also long-lasting – with a shelf life is three years unopened and unrefrigerated – saving you significant money on stocking valuable inventory. To maintain its stability, standard organic 100% blue agave syrup should be stored protected from light and at room temperature (77ºF) in a cool and dry environment.
Sweetener Products offers a wide range of sweeteners for any application. To learn more about agave syrup – or any of our other sweeteners – contact us.